Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Japanese man’s travel to Banaras

It was 26th.Dec and I was travelling back from Tokyo to India. I had been there for 6 months, for a client project. Now that the project was over, I was returning home, to celebrate the new year with my family. I was a happy man to come back home. During these 6 months I missed my folks, home cooked food, and that extra warmth at home.
I was taking the Japanese Airlines flight (JAL) from Tokyo to New Delhi. I boarded the flight, and there was a nice Japanese young man (probably in his late twenties), sitting next to me. We greeted each other and settled down for the flight to take off. While the flight was mid-air, he stuck a conversation over mid-air dinner.
Ito San: Hello, my name is 'Ito'. Where do you live in India?
Me: Hello, my name is 'Amit', I live in New Delhi.
Ito San: How far is Banaras from New Delhi, and how to reach there?
Me: (curiously looking at him) Hmmmm I don't know. I have never been to Banaras. (after a pause) Are you going to Banaras.
Ito San: Yes.
Me: (Now even more curious) Why are you going Banaras?
(I was thinking, why is this guy not going to metropolitan cities like Mumbai, Delhi, or tourist attractions like Agra, Goa and Andamans, why only Banaras???)
Ito San: Banaras is a sacred place, popular destination for attaining nirvana. My friends went there last year, and they told me all good things about Banaras.
Me: (More bewildered) Ohhh!! Really! I don;t know about that. (Feeling ashamed of my ignorance, about my own heritage and religion)
Ito San then told me a lot about Banaras, and that day I realized that it is not only important to chase your material goals, but also to find a way to attain moksha, by way of knowledge and spirituality.

No comments:

Post a Comment